|Client||La Trobe Univeristy|
A functional redesign of the stormwater drainage channel which encircles the La Trobe University Melbourne campus. This system, fondly referred to as the moat, is fed from an extensive upstream catchment of over 200 ha. Our comprehensive modelling provided valuable direction to the project, allowing us to predict building performance and better understand the natural systems operating within this urban environment.
- New riparian wetlands for environmental protection;
- Increasing the moat’s storage capacity to help mitigate the impact of localised flash flooding; and
- A stormwater harvesting and treatment system
The success of the project is seen in the major water savings being achieved and the new wetland, which is a place of beauty, functionality, outdoor amenity, and which provides opportunities for teaching and research.
- Enhanced environmental protection and amenity
- Reduced impact of localised flash flooding
- Major water savings on the campus’ 25 ML PA cooling tower water demand